Tuesday 28 October 2008

The Rules

To some people dressing gowns mean lazy happy days, not to me. Dressing gowns signify non-clothes days, where the act of dressing is so inconceivably monumentous. They do not denote happy, or choosing to be sloth-like, but instead endurance and waiting for another day to be over and hoping that maybe, just maybe, tomorrow will be the day when I can advance towards clothes that are acceptable to be worn outside of my four walls. Dressing gowns tie you down.

Therefore dressing gowns are banned. Slouchy pjs, boyfriend's zippy top with chewed-by-dog-sleeve and big blue jumper are all acceptable replacements so do not fear, I shall be warm through these chilly winter evenings.

But what to do with the offensive item - bin it, burn it, charity shop it? None of that felt right. Binning was boring, nothing really final or fitting. Handing it over to the binmen, unless they were in disney type dress with trumpets sounding a fanfare, doesn't really have much flair. The neighbours wouldn't enjoy the burning and I think it might be toxic (cheap from Primark - possibly scarily flammable too and don't want to lose eyebrows). What if it's cursed? You just never know and I'd feel dreadful if it became the thing of urban legend.

I pondered.

Lots.

And then it came to me in a flash of inspiration. Well it didn't. I don't think I've ever had one of those. It actually kind of wandered in and decided to make itself comfy. We had a bit natter, got on quite well and then came to the conclusion over tea and custard creams that this was a darned good plan.

Said dressing gown would be cut into little squares and buried, sunk, hung, posted, pinned, scattered or hurled in places that dressing gown days prevented me from reaching. A promise would be left behind with each and every piece. A vow to always look forward, never back, and to honour that time of fear and grit with laughter and bravery.

When needed these squares can be passed to those who witnessed the dressing gown days, to let them say goodbye, move forward and to make their promises too.

And so we begin...

No comments: